WELLINGTON, Reuter: A dispute over the itinerary is threatening New Zealand’s cricket tour of India, due to begin later this year.
‘The New Zealand Cricket Council (NZCC) is unhappy the proposed itinerary for the visit, which is scheduled to start on October 27, ends with a grueling series of five one day internationals in nine days.
The NZCC had previously stated it wanted no more than four one day matches.
(Chairman Bob Vance said his last message to the Indian Cricket Board had drawn no response and added. “There is a distinct possibility the tour might not take place.”
Vance said in a statement, “We have made several attempts to change the proposed itinerary. We have been asked to play five one day internationals in nine days and we believe this is totally unreasonable, particularly so when related to the heat and distances to be travelled in India
“Tour programme are made by mutual agreement and it must follow that if no agreement is reached the tour will not take place,”
In his last message to the Indian board on August 19, Vance suggested four limited ‘over internationals should be played.
“They should not jeo paradise the tour and the relationship between our countries for the sake of one match,” Vance went on.
The proposed tour, which comprises three tests, three three day matches and five one day internationals, would be the fifth test series New Zealand has played in India since 1955,
Article extracted from this publication >> September 2, 1988