New Delhi — Mohinder Singh a suspect in bomb explosions case, died in police custody on Monday afternoon after internal bleeding, the postmortem on the body has revealed, according to police sources. His neck also bore signs of strangulation, the report said.

The postmortem listed as entry no: 176 in the register was conducted at about 2 pm. Mr. J. S.

Chaturvedi sub divisional magistrate, who has been ordered by Delhi administration to conduct an inquiry into the death and submit his report as soon as possible, was present.

The postmortem is believed to have revealed signs of burns on one leg. There were also three cuts. There were marks on the left thigh as if something tight had been tied around it, the report is believed to have said.

The viscera revealed some particles of uneatable stuff, which is believed to have been sent for some chemical examination. Two fingers of the right hand were found broken; the report is believed to have said.

Mohinder Singh died in police custody about 1:40 p.m. on Monday, the police sources said. He was taken to Lohia Hospital only at 4:15 p.m. where he was declared dead on arrival, according to hospital records. The body was brought to the police hospital about 4 a.m. on Tuesday.

However at 4:55 p.m. over three hours after he had died, the police told the court he could not be produced for remand because he had been admitted to hospital. In fact, he was never admitted to hospital and only brought their dead. The police have offered no explanation yet for this discrepancy.

With a number of agencies involved in the interrogation of the suspects it is not clear yet at whose hands he died. Among the agencies interrogating the suspects are the Intelligence Bureau, RAW, the Anant Ram Team, CBI, military intelligence, teams from Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and the Delhi police.

The suspects were arrested around 2:15 p.m. and beaten up as they offered resistance. They were then taken to the Deshbandhu Gupta Road police station for interrogation. Late in the evening, they were taken to Lohia Hospital for treatment from where they were discharged after being given first aid. The suspects walked in and walked out, hospital employees said.

They were then taken to Red Fort where they were interrogated by men from the various intelligence agencies and police departments. The interrogation continued till Monday afternoon when he died.

Meanwhile, Mohinder Singh Oberoi had to be given medical treatment twice as he too was interrogated along with Kartar Singh Narang. Mohinder Singh Oberoi had to be carried into court, while Kartar Singh collapsed in court after what the police call sustained interrogation.

The two were on Monday remanded to police custody till May 27 by the metropolitan magistrate, Mr. S. S. Mahla.

Article extracted from this publication >> May 31, 1985