Government troops killed at least 14 New People’s Army rebels responsible for an ambush that left 21 soldiers dead last week in the southern province of Zamboanga del Norte, the state-run news agency said Sunday.
A military report said the rebels were killed in a running gun battle Saturday on the outskirts of ta del: Norte.
It was the third report of heavy casualties on the strife torn southern island of Mindanao since Thursday, when rebels near Polangco ambushed a military convoy en route to nearby Dipolog city, killing 21 soldiers and wounding 10.
The Philippine News Agency said soldiers of “Task Force Cobra” pursuing the rebels clashed Saturday in the hamlet of Dansulan and 14 rebels were killed. No military casualties were reported.