In a Conference representing Sikhs of the United Kingdom with the participation of
Akali Dal (Kent & South London)
Akali Dal (United)
Akhand Kirtan Jattha
Babbar Khalsa International
International Sikh Youth
World Sikh Organization
The following resolutions were adopted in an open session on 30th June 1985 at Singh Sabha, Hitch in.
- THE SIKHS GATHERED HERE TODAY, hereinafter referred to as THE GATHERING, pay their homage to the martyrs in the cause of the nation and recognize the nation’s debt to those who lost their lives in the invasion of the Golden Temple in 1984 and its aftermath.
- THE GATHERING recognizes the facts of history and on their basis CONCLUDES that the only alternative left to resolve the problems between the Sikh nation and the Government of India is the exercise by the Sikhs of their right of self-determination enshrined in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.
- THE GATHERING condemns the acts and activities of all persons, irrespective of their status, which either harm or betray the cause of the Sikh nation in terms of Article 1 of the International Covenant of Civil and Political Rights and withdraws its support from such leaders Sikhs or otherwise undertaking such acts/activities.
- THE GATHERING supports the acts and activities of all persons, irrespective of their status, which assist in any manner the enforcement of Article 1 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and as such extends its support to Baba Joginder Singh and his efforts for self-determination by the Sikhs.
- THE GATHERING calls upon the Sikhs living in the United Kingdom and upon those who live elsewhere to recognize the need of the times and participate in the struggle for establishment of an independent sovereign Sikh identity in accordance with the mandate of mankind enshrined in the documents of the United Nations.
- THE GATHERING entrusts the task of coordinating actions arising pursuant to Resolution 5 in the hands of Dr. Jagjit Singh Chohan.
Article extracted from this publication >> July 12, 1985