NEW DELHI: Even as the United States is considering extradition of the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation front chief Amanullah Khan to India, New Delhi is still hopeful of his detention there on a murder charge,

A foreign ministry spokesman said here Wednesday in reply to a query on rejection of a detention request by a Brooklyn magistrate, that New Delhi was awaiting further information and was in close touch with the US government for processing the matter further.

Asked if there was still hope of Khan’s detention, the spokesman said “yes.”

A Washington Report said that the US was considering India’s formal request for extradition of Khan on the basis of documents submitted by India.

The spokesman said that the US had last month revoked Khan’s visa.

A copy of a first information report (FIR) was also sent by India to the United States. After completion of legal processes a warrant of arrest was obtained from a Jammu magistrate on April 26 on the basis of a voluntary confessional statement before the court by a co-accused in the case, Mohammad Bakshi.

Bakshi clearly implicated Khan in the killing of four air force personnel and Lhassa Kaul, director of the Srinagar Dordarshan Kendra, the spokesman said.

Article extracted from this publication >> May 11, 1990