FACT: No one knows what causes diabetes. The team in fact refers to two different forms of a single disease. About 90% of the diabetics in this country have adult onset diabetes, also known as Type II or non-insulin dependent diabetes. The other 10% have juvenile onset diabetes, also called Type I or insulin independent diabetes. There are many factors that increase the risk for developing adult onset diabetes, but eating

Foods high in sugar aren’t one of them. Sugary foods, however, can contribute to obesity, which is probably the major risk factor. Others include a family history of the disease, being lack or Hispanic, and advancing age.

The misconception that sugar causes diabetes may have developed because diabetes is characterized by high levels of blood glucose (sugar that normally would be converted into energy by the cells). The excess glucose is excreted in the urine. But consuming large amounts of sugar leads to high glucose levels in the blood and urine only if you are diabetic. It’s true, of course, that diabetics have to restrict their intake of sugary foods, since a high sugar intake makes Type II diabetes much harder to control.

Candy bars won’t bring on diabetes, but it’s always wise to watch your weight and restrict your intake of high calorie foods.

Article extracted from this publication >> April 15, 1988